There are a lot of exciting things going on all around the world to celebrate the 100th anniversary year of Tove Jansson’s birth. For a full calendar of events, exhibitions, and readings, visit the official Tove 100 website right here. To help you scratch the surface, here are a few current and upcoming events:
- There will be a Jansson exhibit at the Malmöfestival in Malmö, Sweden, next week, August 15-22.
- A Moomin exhibition is at the Hiroshima Prefectural Art Museum right now through September 6th, and will continue touring around Japan from there.
- At this year’s Frankfurt Book Fair in Germany (October 8 -12), Finland is the guest of honor, and you know Tove’s going to be a part of that.
- From October 9-11, Jansson’s children’s writing gets the academic treatment in Russia at Saint Petersburg State University in a seminar titled: “Philosophical experience of children’s literature: Moomins and the others”
- On October 20th, NYRB Classics will celebrate the publication of The Woman Who Borrowed Memories: Selected Stories of Tove Jansson at NYC’s own Scandinavia House with novelists Kathryn Davis and Philip Teir discussing the influence of Jansson’s writing for adults on their own fiction. For more information, go here.
Happy Tove 100 everyone!